01 November 2017, By Mater Lotteries

Behind the scenes with one of the Mater Prize Home lottery interior designers – lottery No. 274.

3 min read

To take you behind the scenes, we have interviewed the Interior Designer of Mater Prize Home lottery No. 274. Brett Rundle, of Brett Rundle Design sat down to talk us about his inspiration for the home, what being an interior designer entails and all things style.

Q: How long does it take you source each piece for the fit out? The property proposal is done in 1-2 weeks, with the procurement and sourcing taking a further 4-6 weeks to acquire and coordinate.

Q: What is your favourite item in this home? Of all the great pieces in this house, I think my favourite item would have to be the Onyx Fabric Halifax Armchair in the main living room –  it’s long been a favourite of mine – I just love that chair!

Q: What is your favourite personal interior style? My personal preference is very eclectic with items from all different decades and styles. I have a lot of pieces that are more sentimental than valuable, with some items from the 30s, 50s & 60s being my most treasured.

Q: Where do you love to shop for interiors? While 90% of items used in the Prize Homes are sourced direct from wholesalers, I do like to sometimes visit Home/Furniture shops for inspiration. Each year I look forward to trade shows in both Sydney and Melbourne – this is where I really get inspiration for upcoming jobs and future trends.

Q: What was your inspiration for the design of this prize home? This home with its amazing scale, and finishes had its overall theme of rich blues, emeralds and mustards drawn from the tropical gardens that surround the property. Teak and Mango Woods were used on select items to tie in the incredible fireplace and stair timbers used by the architect.

Q: If money was no object what would you have loved to include in this space? A full size grand piano in the conservatorium would have been a dream – though I wouldn’t have enjoyed trying to install it up on the first floor!

Q: Describe your personal interior design style. The closest ‘style’ to my own would be Bohemian – it’s a true mix of styles and finishes that best suits my own personal taste.

Q: How did you get into interior styling and design? After years as a Graphic Designer, and artist (and years of making over friends’ homes) I decided it was the next natural progression in my career. I have never enjoyed my work as much as I do now with every single job bringing new challenges and ideas to life.

Q: What advice would you give to up and coming designers? Be prepared for the background work – a lot of people don’t understand the amount of paperwork etc that goes with the job. Basically 80% of the job is sourcing and ordering, with the remaining 20% left for installs and styling. Furnishing entire properties also highlights this aspect of the job – which is a good thing for me as I fully enjoy the details involved. All the challenging work is rewarded once the job is installed – the satisfaction of a job well done gets me ready for the next one!

Q: What do you use for inspiration? While I try not to follow trends that I feel will be short lived, I visit yearly trade shows both in Australia and overseas to get the low down of what lies ahead regarding style and modern design directions. Also, a healthy dose of magazine subscriptions keeps me in the loop.

Q: What’s your favourite room/space in the home?  In this prize home, my time would be mostly spent in the vast outdoor areaoverlooking the canal. With so much room, outdoor kitchen and fabulous pool, I could get used to it very quickly!