19 March 2021, By Mater Lotteries
1 min read
At 27 years of age, Amy was told that not only did she have breast cancer and would be facing aggressive treatment, she also carried a genetic mutation that predisposed her future children to breast cancer too.
This reality is still faced by too many women and men today.
Buying tickets in Mater Prize Home lottery is helping to support vital research and exceptional patient care at Mater in Queensland—you are helping to bring hope and healing to patients just like Amy.
In October last year, Amy took part in Mater’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month fundraising campaign to give back to the community that helped her.
“I raised money to help people who will walk in the same shoes as me—this may be your mother, daughter, aunt, grandmother, or even a male in your family,” Amy said.
“Having a gene mutation, I am passionate about finding a cure for breast cancer, as it still claims the lives of too many women, and I do not want anyone—least of all my future children—to go through what I have.” Amy said.
– An estimated 14 per cent of all new cancer cases were diagnosed as breast cancer in 2019.
– On average, 53 Australians are diagnosed with breast cancer every day.
– Breast cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in Australian women, and accounts for 14 per cent of all cancer deaths in Australian women.
– Younger (pre-menopausal) women generally have poorer survival outcomes than older women.
– The risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer increases with age. The average age of first diagnosis is 61 years.
– An estimated 1 in 7 women and 1 in 675 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer by age 85.
– Given Australia’s ageing population, the number of women diagnosed with breast cancer is expected to continue to increase each year.
– In 2020, an estimated 20,168 Australians will be diagnosed with breast cancer. In 2021, this number is expected to increase to 20,825.
Buy your Mater Prize Home tickets today, and help fund vital cancer research and care for patients like Amy and her family. Thank you!Buy Tickets